Welcome to Siop Y Ganolfan!
Excellent service to an ever-growing customer base has been the proud record of Siop Y Ganolfan since we first opened our doors back in 1992. But now we have evolved to supply the educational resource needs of 11 local authorities in South Wales and are the exclusive national supplier of the Dyfal Donc* collections to all schools in Wales. Since 2009, thanks to its website, Siop Y Ganolfan has bridged the distance barriers and now reaches out to new customers world-wide. From Merthyr to Mexico, Barry to Bahrain, we are YOUR local Welsh book shop!
*The Welsh version of Catch Up; a graded intervention scheme for struggling readers
- 1987 – Merthyr Tudful hosts National Eisteddfod
- Eisteddfod legacy; establishment of a Canolfan Gymraeg (Welsh Centre)
- 1992 – Siop Y Ganolfan book shop opens on the premises
- 2003 – Menter Iaith (Language Initiative) is founded here
- 2007 – Siop Y Ganolfan becomes independent business
- 2009 – Cynllun Soar, a £1.6m project transforms the Canolfan Gymraeg creating a Community Theatre, a Café and a new location for the book shop within the beautifully refurbished former chapel vestry.
Call in and see for yourself, I trust you’ll find the effort worthwhile!
Diolch yn fawr